attachmants

nan@frosting.cis.brown.edu nan@frosting.cis.brown.edu
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:37:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, listers,

I am confused by how IMP-2.2.2 handles attachments.  We have a lot of
Eudora users who send each other attachments.  Here
are headers in a typical Eudora-sent message with a MSWord attachment:

---------------------
From: Patricia Falcon <Patricia_Falcon@brown.edu>
Subject: Test Word doc attachment

--=====================_28594869==_

Test Word doc attachment (sent from Eudora)

--=====================_28594869==_

When I use Netscape 4.6 with Win98 with IMP to examine this piece of mail,
I get 2 "lines" in the IMP window:

One line has a document icon, the blue link "[no description]",  the
words "multipart/mixed", and a download icon.  If I click on this download
icon I get the entire piece of mail, the plain text and the attachment,
saved as an html file on the local disk, which is not useful if the
attachment is a word document.

The second line has a document icon, the document name including extension
(such as .doc for MSWord), the words "application/octet-stream", and a
download icon.  If I click on this download icon, I get a dialog box from
Netscape that says I am downloading a file of application type
x-unknown-application-octet-stream and I then save the file to disk to be
opened later with the application.

How can I get rid of the first "line" with the "no description" in it?

TIA,

Nan D'Antuono