2.2.4-cvs forces charset encoding in HTTP headers

Alain Fauconnet alain@cscoms.net
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:49:56 +0700

Hello,

We have switched from a 2.2.0-pre13 version with security fixes hacked
in, to the real 2.2.4-cvs on last Friday.

I've immediately got complaints saying that people here were unable to
view messages with Thai characters.  The  problem  is  that  2.2.4-cvs
sends a "charset=ISO-8859-1" in the HTTP headers  when  configured  to
use US English. This make Thai  characters  appear  as  west  European
accented characters.

I do know that the "clean" way would be to have  a  Thai  locale  with
messages and the suitable character encoding  (ISO-8859-11  I  think),
but since there is no such local yet  (still  trying  to  convince  my
management  to  have  someone  here  work  on  it...) I have to use US
English for now.

Could we have something like a "Generic" locale setting that  uses  US
English messages but does not force any charset  encoding ?  Something
like the "C" locale on some Unix boxes. I've done a quick n' dirty fix
by commenting  out  the  lines  that  output  the  encoding  for  now.

Have a nice day,
_Alain_
--
Alain FAUCONNET