[imp] PostgreSQL and pconnect() ... an evil combination ...

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:44:09 -0600 (CST)

Quoting The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>:

> Changing pg_pconnect back to just pg_connect fixes the problem ... in
> fact, it appears to also fix the problem I reported earlier about
> trapping error messages ...

I changed both references to pg_pconnect, but did not kill any of
the already existing postgres processes.  I saw no new error messages
but did get kind of inconsistent behaviour (trying to go to the
new error messages, and no difference in speed.  I then killed all
the existing backend processes that were out there.  Still no error
messages, message selection returned to normal (next went to the next
message, etc) and the IMP seemed to speed up considerably.

So, from what I can tell, this is a good change, but if you are making
the change you should probably:
1) exit IMP and your browser
2) stop postgres
3) kill any postgres processes still left, if any
4) restart postgres
5) restart your browser and IMP