[imp] window resizing

Alain Fauconnet alain@cscoms.net
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 06:19:30 +0700 (ICT)

> Quoting Alain Fauconnet <alain@cscoms.net>:
>
> > Ok, I think that I have a fair understanding of what goes on.
> It looks
> > like a dual POP session drop locking problem. Here is a
> summary of the
> > snooped traffic between the IMP web  mail  and  the  POP
> server  when
> > resizing the window:
>
> If this is actually what's causing things (and it certainly
> sounds
> plausible), then the only thing I can reccomend is that you
> upgrade to 2.3,
> since it doesn't use frames, and so even if the window were
> reloaded, that
> shouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, upgrading to 2.3 isn't quite possible. This is a rather
high-volume production environment.

Also, I suspect that all the complaints I get from IE users about
getting dumped to the login window when trying to download attachments
are linked to the same kind of problem. I have a lot of these "ERR
INUSE" messages in the syslog.

I confirm that this is qpopper-specific. UW ipop3d has different locking
semantics and the newly opened session will kill the first one (not a
good idea IMHO -- qpopper is right on this).

So, well... "the wonders of open-source"... I'll probably try to fix
this one myself and submit patches.

I have one more question anyway: Netscape clearly doesn't provide all
the form parameters when reloading the main windows. OK. Booo to
Netscape. But what's the point having a session ID if IMP can't find the
context back using this ID (which is returned by Netscape in the
cookie)?

Cheers,
_Alain_