[imp] 3 things

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Mon, 06 Nov 2000 16:22:11 -0600 (CST)

Quoting Scott Martin <martin@math.ohiou.edu>:

> [...]

Usually when I go to read my mail, I'm ready to read my mail.  But sometimes I
just want to load webmail and get to it when I'm done with something else.
Personally (and this isn't IMP's fault, obviously), I think it's stupid for
something to just jump to the front like it's the most important thing you
should look at.  I like the idea of the focus being in that field so I don't
have to click anything to start typing (more "applicationy", as Chuck says), but
not at the expense of the whole window jumping to the foreground.  (hotmail does
this no matter WHAT you click on!)  Honestly, I don't know whether the behaviour
only occurs under Windoze though.

I see the argument--the simplicity is a lot greater advantage than the advantage
gained from the apparently-few people that don't do things the normal way.
Though the converse of that is if something behaves *incorrectly* (most other
applications don't do this, though it may technically be correct for browsers
too, grr...), that may be enough reason not to have it there.

I'll just disable this in my local install if necessary then. :-)

..Keith

--
"I consider this a day well seized.  Tomorrow we'll seize the day AND conquer
it!"  -Calvin, "Calvin and Hobbes"