[imp] Receipts?

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:01:33 -0500

RFC 1894 refers to "the nonstandard, but widely used, Return-Receipt-To
extension header".

RFC 2076 reinforces this by listing it among "Not Internet standard"
headers.

The receipt does not necessarily confirm delivery to the recipient's
mailbox.  It confirms that the host that sent the receipt processed
the message successfully by its definition of success.

The modern version is a Delivery Status Notice but I don't know what
a MUA like IMP should put into a message to trigger a DSN.  Anyone?
Not all mail hosts have been updated to software that does DSNs.

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)

--On Thursday, November 16, 2000 11:38 -0500 Chuck Hagenbuch