[imp] user quotas and imap behaviour

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:18:51 -0500

> Conversation with a "quota exceeded" user:
> 1 login anotheruser anotherpasswd
> 1 OK LOGIN completed
> 2 select inbox
> * 30 EXISTS
> 2 NO SELECT failed: New mail move failed: Disc quota exceeded
> 3 status inbox (unseen)
> * STATUS inbox (UNSEEN 3)
> 3 OK STATUS completed       <<--- this works
> 4 fetch 1 all
> 4 BAD Command unrecognized: FETCH    <<--- but this doesn't
> (if FETCH doesn't work, I'm afraid we can't do anything else...)

We have user quotas, and use U Wash imap2000, and get different results.
Imapd complains about not being able to write the lock file, because the
user in this test below is way over quota, but weirdly (?) it appends
the new mail to mbox anyway:

* OK mailhub1.cc.columbia.edu IMAP4rev1 2000.281 at Wed, 29 Nov 2000
10:01:07 -0500 (EST)
a1 login jb51 pass
a1 OK LOGIN completed
b2 select inbox
* NO Mailbox vulnerable - error creating /c/u/1/j/jb51/mbox.lock: Disc
quota exceeded
* 144 EXISTS
* NO Mailbox vulnerable - error creating /c/u/1/j/jb51/mbox.lock: Disc
quota exceeded
* 145 EXISTS
* NO Mailbox vulnerable - error creating /c/u/1/j/jb51/mbox.lock: Disc
quota exceeded
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 965938213] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 176] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)]
Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 81] first unseen message in /c/u/1/j/jb51/mbox
b2 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
c3 fetch 1 all
... gets message ...

I did this test with a message in spool, and that message was appended
mbox and was available for fetch.

Maybe a client should catch the NO messages and stop, but then again the
final result of the command is "b2 OK..." so I don't think the client
can
be faulted for continuing.

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)