[imp] user quotas and imap behaviour

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:19:06 -0500

We use the mbox driver in UW imap2000.  Mail is delivered to spool, and
if imap is used, it moves spool mail to mbox.  Why the append is
allowed may be something local to our system and I think this is
getting off topic for IMP.

The IMP issue is that it needs to catch all server responses starting
NO, for which we see two variations so far.  Yours gives a tagged NO,
which means failure:

  tag NO SELECT failed: New mail move failed: Disc quota exceeded

Ours gives an untagged NO, which is informational, but OK to the
select command:

  * NO Mailbox vulnerable - error creating /c/u/1/j/jb51/mbox.lock: Disc
      quota exceeded
  tag OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

Other imap systems and other imap software must do other variant
it is not part of IMAP protocol.  It can only rely on getting one or
more of NO and OK from the server, and should show the text after
NO to the user.

What was the original question though?  IMP tried to SELECT INBOX and
did
not handle the NO response?

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)