[imp] (Send)mail aliases

Ivari Horm charlie@21k.ee
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 23:57:58 +0200

> I use Debian Linux with kernel 2.2.16 with sendmail 8.10.12
> I have an horde module 1.2.1, IMP 2.0.11 and PHP3 compiled.

Uh, IMP 2.0 requires Horde 1.0. I'm surprised that it even *works*,
let alone works correctly, if those are the accurate version numbers.

It actually doesn't matter. I have tried using IMP 2.0 with Horde 1.0,
but the result was the same.

> I have to manage the accounts of a hihg-school students.
> They all have mail aliases firstname.lastname@domain.com, which gets
mapped
> (according to the alias file in sendmail) to username@domain.com.
>
> I changed the defaults.php3 file:
> user_change_fullname = true
> user_change_from = false
>
> When they use some kind of a POP3-based mailer, it works well,
> even server's mailx does the job, but when it comes to imp, it still sends
> out mail with the source address username@domain.com.

Their pop3-based mailer allows them to change their From: header, and
apparently they've changed it correctly. /etc/aliases only affects
*incoming* mail; it sounds like you want to make some rewriting rules
for outgoing mail in sendmail. IMP just calls sendmail; since you
don't allow the users to enter the correct From: themselves, it uses
the naive default of their username.

Since I have aliases for incoming mail I use the genericstable for outgoing
as well, where the username@domain.com gets mapped into
firstname.lastname@domain.com
Of course users use Netscape Messenger for example and enter their mail
address as firstname.lastname@domain.com, but even with the native
console-based e-mail it still uses genericstable correlctly (the From:
address gets mapped to firstname.lastname@domain.com).

Any ideas?