Does IMP support IMAP Namespace?

Brad Dameron bdameron@tscnet.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:47:34 -0800 (PST)

I am using the courier-imap server. And have been trying to locate the
problem with IMP not being able to save the sent-mail file. People on this
list said it was a IMAP problem. Then people on the IMAP list say it is
due to IMP not following RFC2342. Here is what it says:

<Start paste>

I can't create any top-level folders, only subfolders of INBOX

This is a user-interface design issue with your mail client. IMAP servers
are free to use any folder namespace arrangement that's technically
convenient for them. Courier-IMAP uses "INBOX." as the namespace for
private folders, and "shared." as the namespace for public, shared,
folders. The IMAP NAMESPACE extension (see
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2342.txt) allows IMAP clients to
automatically discover where the server creates folders, and your IMAP
client should implement it.

This should be completely transparent to you, if your IMAP client properly
uses the NAMESPACE extension. If your IMAP client were to automatically
take advantage of self-configuration features offered by RFC 2060 and RFC
2342, it would automatically discover, without any additional
configuration from the user, that:

The folder namespace hierarchy separator is the . character

Private folders are stored underneath the "INBOX." hierarchy

Public folders are stored underneath the "shared." hierarchy
If you have to explicitly create folders that are subfolders of INBOX, or
if you explicitly have to name that "INBOX.foldername", this is due to
your IMAP client not being able to configure itself accordingly.

</Stop paste>

I have tried several configurations in the defaults.php3 and have yet to
get it to save the sent-mail. Is there a IMP programmer that can help me
out here?

Thank you,
Brad Dameron
TSCNet Online Services