[imp] ldap

John C. Amodeo amodeo@admin.rutgers.edu
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:21:07 -0500

Ok, ok...

There seems to be enough problems with ldap not to use it for session management -
but now I have a problem.  What I am trying to do is create a scalable e-mail
system that will handle a few hundred users, and use ldap for user
authentication.  I have read various how-to's on creating scalable web mail
solutions using the horde software, etc..

Here is my question - if I use, for instance, shared memory for the php session
management (optimized for speed), can I still use ldap to store the users
signature files and address books?  I think it would be rather complicated to set
up a system that uses shared memory or sql for session management, uses sql for
user data, and uses an ldap directory for authentication.  doesn't this sound a
little ridiculous?  I am trying to stay away from using sql for session management
for scalability issues as well as speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

-John