[imp] ldap

Rick Romero rick@valeoinc.com
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:30:41 -0600

I think it depends on what LDAP service you are using.  If you are
using OpenLDAP, or Netscape or something of that sort, it's
probably made to be read only.

If you look at Novell NDS, you'll see things changing constantly.
It's NOT designed as an LDAP database, but Novell has created an
LDAP interface.  I would consider using Novell's NDS for session
management, but I'd shy away from any others, specifically
because Novell's NDS is made for, and is used, in that fasion.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd probably guess that due
to the fact the majority of IMP's users aren't running NDS (IMHO,
the most flexible/powerful LDAP db), and the extra hassle of
adding LDAP session management, and having to have some
supporting knowledge of yet another product, would keep LDAP
session management from being an option.

But that's just my opinion.

On 6 Dec 2000, at 15:58, German Poo Caaman~o wrote:

> Mike Coughlan wrote:
> > can you please elaborate on this with a URL or document? are you implying
> > that it is buggy?
> > thanks,
>
> LDAP is optimized for query.  Don't forget that is a directory
> where each entry is added once and modified almost never.
> Just for design.
>
> May be you can read the OpenLDAP docuentacion about that, or
> Netscape Directory documentation.

Sincerely,
Rick Romero

IT Manager