[imp] Broken MS Outlook Headers

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:54:50 -0500

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:31:36AM -0500, Evans, Tim (Tim_Evans@troweprice.com) wrote:
> It would appear MS Outlook, or the local configuration of such here (over
> which I have no control) creates broken headers.

That's unfortunate, but I'm not sure what that has to do with IMP.

> If you try to reply to this message within 2.2.3 IMP, your To: line will
> show something like:
>
> 	"Evans, Tim" <Tim_Evans@troweprice.com>
>
> Note that the quotes around "Evans, Tim" are literal; they show up in the
> To: box.

It does that in at least: mutt, elm, pine, eudora. That's because
that's what's *supposed* to happen; the 'real name' part of the
address contains a special character, the comma, which needs quoting
so that mail transports don't see "Evans" as one address and "Tim
<Tim_Evans@troweprice.com> as another.

> Users who reply from within IMP to my mail invariably get a bounce to the
> effect that "Evans, Tim" is an unknown address.

I've Cc'd you on this to see where the bounce originates.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services