[imp] Postgres vacuuming

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:59:49 -0500

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 06:52:51PM -0300, Martin A. Marques (martin@math.unl.edu.ar) wrote:
> El Mié 20 Dic 2000 18:39, escribiste:
> >
> > Which leads me to believe that some mention of VACUUM should
> > *probably* appear in the doco. But I'm not sure *where*. The fact that
> > no-one's mentioned this before makes me wonder how many people are
> > just putting up with it. Or, maybe *they* all remembered to vacuum. :-)
>
> AFAIK, it's in the postgres docs. The reason why we have to VACUUM
> (us the postgresql users ;-) ) is that after deletes and updates,
> there are rows that stay in the database as garbage, which makes the
> database slow (sometimes really slow), but a Vacuum eliminates those
> rows.

Yes, I know that much. I'm quietly contemplating which Horde
documentation should mention it, hoping one of the others will chime
in saying "Oh, I'll put it in this...", or at least hinting at
something along those lines. :-) There are, after all, quite a few
users that use IMP without knowing how the various components *work*.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services