[imp] Postgres vacuuming

Rick Romero rick@valeoinc.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:11:32 -0600

On 20 Dec 2000, at 16:59, Rich Lafferty wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 06:52:51PM -0300, Martin A. Marques (martin@math=
.unl.edu.ar) wrote:
> > El Mié 20 Dic 2000 18:39, escribiste:
> > >
> > > Which leads me to believe that some mention of VACUUM should
> > > *probably* appear in the doco. But I'm not sure *where*. The fact th=
at
> > > no-one's mentioned this before makes me wonder how many people are
> > > just putting up with it. Or, maybe *they* all remembered to vacuum. =
:-)

> > AFAIK, it's in the postgres docs. The reason why we have to VACUUM
> > (us the postgresql users ;-) ) is that after deletes and updates,
> > there are rows that stay in the database as garbage, which makes the
> > database slow (sometimes really slow), but a Vacuum eliminates those
> > rows.
>
> Yes, I know that much. I'm quietly contemplating which Horde
> documentation should mention it, hoping one of the others will chime
> in saying "Oh, I'll put it in this...", or at least hinting at
> something along those lines. :-) There are, after all, quite a few
> users that use IMP without knowing how the various components *work*.

Precisely.  For example,  I run MySQL.  When I saw this post, I
remembered some others in the past mentioning this.
Unfortunately, I couldn't remember if this was a postgress issue, or
a universal thing... My only other SQL / Database experience is
with Foxpro (and not much there either), and deleted records will
add up in FoxPro also..

If it wasn't for the followup post, I would have wasted a bunch of
time looking for MySQL cleanup info...Then again, maybe I still
need to :)

Sincerely,
Rick Romero

IT Manager