[imp] PHP4 + IMAP + MySQL

Rob Tanner rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:49:57 -0800

--On Wednesday, January 10, 2001 06:34:10 AM -0800 Max Kalika
<max@the-triumvirate.net> wrote:

> Quoting Clive McDowell <c.mcdowell@qub.ac.uk>:
>
>> PHP Warning:  Unable to load dynamic library './imap.so' - ld.so.1:
>> /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: fatal: ./imap.so: open failed: No such file or
>> directory in Unknown on line 0
>
> If you do have an imap.so file try configuring php (and/or apache) with the
> following:
>
>    env LDFLAGS=-R/path configure
>
> where /path is the directory where imap.so is located. -R on the solaris linker
> adds the /path to the library search paths for shared objects.
>
> If you don't want to recompile, try starting apache with the following:
>
>    env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
>
> again where /path is the location (directory only) where imap.so is located.

You can simply modify your apachectl startup script to include the above mentioned
technique. Alternatively, you can symlink the mysql and imap libraries into
/usr/lib, which is the default path.

But what bugs me about the error message your getting is that the terminology is
all wrong.  The messages should complain about not finding libc-lient.so (which is
specifically the UW-IMAP client, and so your library would not likely have the
exact same name) and libmysqlclient.so, or something similar, but certainly not
./imap.so and ./mysql.so.

Would you be willing to share the options you included in the configure script for
both apache and PHP?  I'm not at all familiar with imap-2000a, but if you could
include the mysql build configuration, that might also be helpful.  Also, did you
infact build the imap library and mysql both as dynamic libraries?  Something isn't
quite right, and the ld.so.1 errors don't sound to me to be just a path problem.

I'd certainly try the path solution first because it's easy and it will either
resolve the problem (which I doubt) or make it quite that you've got a problem in
the build somewhere.

-- Rob

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com