[imp] Feature request

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:26:41 -0600

Quoting Patrick Timmons <ptimmons@courriel.polymtl.ca>:

> I think if the user could change the number of messages per page, you
> wouldn't
> need such a feature. It would be much more user proof.

I do this from time to time with IMP 2.3 myself (that's all I use these days),
though I've often thought of the benefits of an option to "empty entire folder".
 Such an option, to me, would first prompt the user to make sure he wants to do
this, delete all the messages in the folder, and then purge it.  Or maybe the
purge could be one more last step (just like regular deleting) to confirm that
the user didn't delete something he didn't want to.  The whole process, as is
probably obvious, eliminates a) scrolling from mailbox to mailbox selecting all
then deleting, and b) filling up a page/memory/bandwidth with hundreds of
messages in a row.

I find myself emptying whole folders other than INBOX, so another simple option
is to delete the actual folder than recreate it.  Others may not think of that,
so a quick "empty folder" option would be cool (even if it was in the
folders/navigator view).

The subject of advanced options has come up several times.  To me, it would be
cool to structure the entire options page around this idea.  Only show the basic
options (such as full name, signature, etc like IMP 2.2 does), with another
checkbox to turn on advanced options.  This may turn on more advanced options
throughout IMP's entire interface (such as the "empty folder" option), but it
would also present the whole gamut of options within the options page itself.  I
myself think all those options are nice, but I'm sure some people will never
notice/care that they are there, and might be confused by such a long page of
stuff.  As options are added, having it default to a more simple look would be
good for a wider range of users.

..Keith

Keith A. Chayer                                         Baptist Bible College
Network Technician                                         Springfield, MO
           .--.
 ::\`--._,'.::.`._.--'/::      "Ready?  For 800 years have I trained Jedi.
 ::::.  ` __::__ '  .::::      My own council will I keep on who is ready."