[imp] Feature request

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:43:23 -0500

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 12:38:46PM -0800, Richard (poboxcanada@yahoo.com) wrote:

> > And do these programs empty the trash when the user
> > exits the program?
>
> Yes, if that option is selected.

Then the model doesn't apply to IMP. We don't know when the user exits
the program.

> > If a user leaves a message in the "trash" folder and logs out
> > without deleting it, what's he to think when it appears back in
> > his INBOX when he starts up an IMAP client that decided to
> > interpret the specification less creatively?  Standards don't
> > exist to pick and choose what you like, and pretending that
> > something is a folder when it isn't is an awfully bletcherous
> > special case.
>
> I'm not suggesting that anything is pretended.  The user selects one
> or more messages and clicks 'Delete'.  IMP moves message(s) from
> current folder to Trash folder.  User selects 'Empty trash', IMP
> deletes AND expunges messages in trash.  There is no 'pretending' of
> folders; it is a REAL folder.  There are no compromises of
> 'standards'.

None other than the bit about that not being how IMAP works. You're
welcome to take it up with Mark Crispin, I guess.

Besides, that way, users on IMP setups configured not to allow other
folders aren't allowed to delete mail. Ditto POP users.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services