[imp] poppassd and IMP problems<<< please help ! ;-)

Dave Wilson davew@sai.co.za
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:26:49 +0200

Hi Chuck,

Ok I have found the problem, but not the solution.

pico /etc/login.defs in Slackware has an option:
OBSCURE_CHECKS_ENAB     no

Which is set to yes by default and prompts root for a new password 3 times
if the password is short/too easy etc.
When set to no... poppassd changes the password perfectly except that
/usr/bin/passwd prints out some crap like below which seems to confuse
poppassd and return error 500:
Changing password for <user>
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 127 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
New password:
Re-enter new password:
Password changed.

In IMP this shows up as error: "the following error occurred while
processing your request" "Changing password for <user>"

As I have said poppassd does change the password 100%, so my IMP password
change feature is working... it's just a bit annoying having it say
"following error has occurred" ;-)
I have tried to modified & recompiled poppassd.c, but I cannot get it to
ignore all the garbage before the "New password:" prompt.

Anyone have any ideas ?
It seems that no one has a modified poppassd.c for Slackware ;(
Thanks.

Kindest regards
David Wilson
The S.A Internet