[imp] poppassd and IMP problems<<< please help ! ;-)

Dave Wilson davew@sai.co.za
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:53:30 +0200

Hi Rich,

I thought of that too, but where do I get an updated passwd that supports
shadow ?
And can I get it in source form and remove all the veboseness from it ?
Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated. ;-)

Kindest regards
David Wilson
The S.A Internet

#include <std-disclaimer.h>

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Lafferty [mailto:rich@bofh.concordia.ca]On Behalf Of Rich
Lafferty
Sent: 19 January 2001 08:43
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] poppassd and IMP problems<<< please help ! ;-)

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 08:26:49AM +0200, Dave Wilson (davew@sai.co.za)
wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> As I have said poppassd does change the password 100%, so my IMP password
> change feature is working... it's just a bit annoying having it say
> "following error has occurred" ;-)
> I have tried to modified & recompiled poppassd.c, but I cannot get it to
> ignore all the garbage before the "New password:" prompt.
>
> Anyone have any ideas ?

Poppassd is a messy hack; there isn't even a standard, it's just
something Qualcomm did that caught on, IIRC. I think you're trying to
fix it in the more difficult of two straightforward ways, though --
you'd be better off building a second 'passwd' that isn't so verbose
and telling poppassd to use that. (Poppassd just talks to passwd(8)
through a bidirectional pipe.) Put the modified passwd in
/usr/local/sbin or the equivalent "commands not for mortals"
directory, make it setuid root and only executable by root (and thus
poppassd via inetd), and Bob's your uncle.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services