[imp] imp 2.3.x vs TWIG

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:09:16 -0600

Quoting John Bennett <bennettj@thebennetthome.com>:

> I have clients using imp 2.2.3 currently, so that is what I am comparing to
> TWIG.

TWIG has some nice features, but the above comparison is more like comparing
Windows 2000 to OS/2 2.1 or something--IMP 2.3 has quite a bit more in terms of
features, usability options, user preferences, interface updates/nicities, etc,
than the 2.2 tree has.  I can't quote specific differences or similarities
between the current TWIG and the IMP 2.3 series, but my experience with IMP as a
whole has been far more favorable.  IMP's installation has a bit steeper of a
learning curve to overcome (it's been awhile since I've done a fresh 2.3
installation, though) and 2.3 is easier than 2.2 in that regard.  Then again,
Linux is somewhat harder to use than Windows but the difference is well worth
it.  IMP's interface seems to be much smoother.  The designers thought it out
and are very careful and picky about making it look nice and ensure ease in use.
 TWIG (as I believe Chuck has said in the past) seems to be more thrown
together.  It seems to be a lot more cluttered.

As a whole, I tried TWIG and put it away the same day.  I've been using IMP for
nearly two years now (starting with version 2.0.9 or something) and love it.
Personally, I use the 2.3 version exclusively.  That being said, it is still a
ways from being released as a final product.  The development version may change
somewhat between now and then, but the only real lacking feature is the
addition of contacts with Turba.  That's the only thing that keeps me from
replacing our 2.2 deployment here.

I can't speak for TWIG's support, but IMP's support is first rate.  The
developers are active on the mailing lists, and if you report a problem they are
quick to find a solution.  There is also an active community just willing to
give help, if it's not a program problem but just a question you have about
getting something working.

The final choice is yours, of course, but in my experience, I would recommend
IMP over TWIG any day.

..Keith

Keith A. Chayer                                         Baptist Bible College
Network Technician                                         Springfield, MO
           .--.
 ::\`--._,'.::.`._.--'/::      "Ready?  For 800 years have I trained Jedi.
 ::::.  ` __::__ '  .::::      My own council will I keep on who is ready."