[imp] different charsets?

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:23:52 -0500

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:16:44PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch (chuck@horde.org) wrote:
> Quoting Rich Lafferty <rich@horde.org>:
>
> > IMP can and does, but only one at a time, because that's all your
> > browser can handle.
>
> That's not entirely true, with unicode and utf-8, but we have yet to
> figure out how to get it to work. =)
>
> If there's an expert out there, though, I'd love to hear from you.

I'm vaguely familiar with Unicode issues from discussions on how to
implement same in Perl. I'd say this is something to be taken care of
much later; trying to determine the character set that an incoming
message uses, mapping that to some part of the Unicode space, and then
using that as well as the (possibly different) part of the Unicode
space requested for the user interface strikes me as *awfully* hairy.

It also looks like we'd be implementing the translation ourselves,
since ONCE AGAIN (grr) PHP only thinks in ISO-8859-1.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services