[imp] binding keys to HTML form buttons

rob@myinternetplace.net rob@myinternetplace.net
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:09:43 -0700 (MST)

> Quoting Donnie Barnes <djb@donniebarnes.com>:
>
> > Well, first, you could turn them off by default if you're worried
> about
> > support nightmares.  :-)  Second, response time from a keybinding
> would be
> > the same as the instant you click the button on the mouse and you
> wouldn't
> > have to wait for your brain to tell your hand to move over there to do
> it.
> >
> > Now, if you can't do it due to limitations in browsers and/or the
> standards
> > around them, that's fine.  I just don't buy number 2 above.  :-)
>

> The standards and browser limitations are enough. But the second
> reason is the better one, I think; responding to keybindings is a
> rather unnatural thing for a website to do. Having it wouldn't
> improve the general user experience, that I can see.

The only reason I am hating to admin imp is because of the web
interface.  Slow slow slow for me to use a mouse vs. hitting a key or
two.

At least using lynx-ssl allows me to hit "4 RET" a bazillion times
while keeping up with mailing lists.  Yes, I have to go back to
javascript land to sort emails out to other mailboxes, but that
liveable.

rob

This mail sent through IMP: http://www.myinternetplace.net