[imp] imp 2.3.x vs TWIG

Anil Madhavapeddy anil@recoil.org
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 10:21:15 +0000

> Quoting rob@myinternetplace.net:
>
> > That helps a lot.  Thank you.  I was looking at what hotmail had to
> > offer yesterday, and I noticed that they will read the email from
> > multiple servers, simultaneously.  How would one do that in IMAP?
>
> Just talk to the different servers.... I'm not entirely sure what you mean by
> simultaneously?

I'm not sure if this covers it, but I'm _still_ intending to write an
IMAP proxy that will sit there with persistent connections to one or more
IMAP servers and rewrite their namespace into a single one, so that it looks
like a single IMAP server.

The design problem I ran into: how to authenticate for the remote servers,
if the two IMAP servers have different passwords?  My only idea was to ask
the user to separate the password entered into the proxy with a predefined
key, so that they could be sent to the separate servers. (e.g. if I had two
passwords 'dude' and 'sweet', and a key '||', then my proxy password would
be 'dude||sweet'.  Not very elegant - other ideas welcome.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy, <anil@recoil.org>