[imp] Muliple IMPs

Keith A. Chayer kchayer@bbcnet.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:38:53 -0600

> Quoting List User Account <skeeter@segal.com.au>:
>
> > Can you run multiple copies of IMP on the one server? I am running webs
> and
> > mail on two different servers and would like to hardcode the two different
>
> > domain into a copy of IMP each for reasons unmentioned. Is this possible
> and
> > if so how?
>
> Sure. Just make two different directories, or if you're going for something
>
> slightly more elegant, symlink everything that doesn't need to be
> different.

I've actually used the exact same copy and just put the different IMAP servers
in servers.php3 so the clients could choose their server from the list on the
login screen.  It was three different domains, to be exact, so I had Apache
answer to all three domains but have the same server root.  Point DNS at the
IP for that server, of course, and it worked just fine.  I never got around to
getting elegant enough to having the configuration file determine what server to
use based on the hostname/site accessed.  Then the user wouldn't have any
choices to make, it would just work.  Of course, all three sites looked exactly
the same, but no one cared about that.

So, not addressing Chuck's message, but answering the original question with
another solution, yes, it can be done. :)

..Keith

Keith A. Chayer                                         Baptist Bible College
Network Technician                                         Springfield, MO
           .--.
 ::\`--._,'.::.`._.--'/::      "Ready?  For 800 years have I trained Jedi.
 ::::.  ` __::__ '  .::::      My own council will I keep on who is ready."