[imp] imp causes high load ?

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar@developer.ch
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:04:05 +0100

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> =

> Quoting Atif Ghaffar <aghaffar@developer.ch>:
> =

> > Since we are beating this one.
> > Why doesnt IMP keep a persistent connection?
> > Is it possible to keep a persistent connection?
> >
> > I know Netscape Messanger can keep persistent connections.
> > Is it a limitation from the c-client library?
> =

> Netscape Messenger is an application that stays in memory for the lifet=
ime that
> it is run. IMP is a php script. To keep a persistant connection, apache=
 would
> need to hold on to it for us. However, there's no way that I know of to=
 have a
> global pool of resources shared between all apache children, and if per=
sistant
> connections weren't shared between children, then you'd get one connect=
ion per
> user per apache process, which would break things horribly and be even =
worse
> than we have now.

How about one connection per session?
The connection goes away when the session goes away.
If the user does not logout, the connection is closed with a timeout.

I dont think that apache will share the process with its children.
The work around to that is to use shared memory to hold the
connection... I think..

--
Atif Ghaffar
Internet Development Manager