[imp] From line creation? (2.2.4)

Lars Hecking lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:05:39 +0000

Chuck Hagenbuch writes:
> Quoting Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>:
>
> >  Check the mail logs on 216.88.237.10 and mail.alpha1.net to find out
> >  what the real enveloper sender address is. I _think_ it's possible
> >  (although I haven't observed this yet) that IMP somehow passes
> >  "marius@alpha1.net" (literally, including the quotes!) to sendmail -f,
> >  which then interprets the address as RFC-822 local-part, and tacks on
> >  the missing domain. Or something like that.
>
> That would be both unfortunate and odd - can anyone else provide any insight
> into this?

 The necessary information, to track this down is in the mail logs.

 I can't really test this, as I don't have a pure sendmail system (all
 important mail handling boxes run postfix). But it seems that indeed
 sendmail doesn't strip quotes:

 echo hello | /usr/lib/sendmail -f \"sender@dom.ain\" rcpt@dom.ain

 creates a From: header with "sender@dom.ain"@domn.ain. The From_ line
 has the quotes stripped, but that because in my case, this mail goes
 through a postfix machine (which strips them, as I can verify with the
 mail logs). The logs on the sending machine, however, include the quotes
 for the envelope sender.

 Case 2: echo hello | /usr/lib/sendmail -f \"sender@dom.ain\" rcpt

 As rcpt is local, the mesage is delivered directly by sendmail on the
 local box, and here, the From_ line says "sender@dom.ain", but it's not
 qualified with a domain name because it's local delivery.

 Someone should test this with a pure sendmail system. Or the original poster
 may provide some logs. Anyway, this may be a local configuration rather
 than IMP issue.