[imp] IMAP and Security issues

Joseph Formoso jformoso@stevens-tech.edu
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:55:26 -0500

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Donnie Barnes wrote:

> First, can IMP speak imap-ssl?  I'm not sure it should need to...
----------
	No.  However, what we do here is use stunnel (which has a site
at, not surprisingly, www.stunnel.org).  Basically, you set up an
stunnel deamon on the machine where IMP runs, having it listen on some
arbitrary local port and connect to the imap-ssl port on your secure IMAP
box.  You then configure IMP so that it makes its IMAP connection to
localhost:<arbitrary port>.  stunnel accepts that connection and handles the
job of encrypting the connection from localhost to the imap-ssl port on
your secure IMAP box.

					--Joe
-----
Joe Formoso (jformoso@stevens-tech.edu),
  Senior Systems Administrator, OIT, Stevens Institute of Technology