[imp] IMAP and Security issues

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:12:24 -0500

<URL:http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/prereq/index.php#p9>

> I'm in the unfortunate situation that I can't necessarily trust the
> integrity of the network that my server sits on and thus do care
> about sniffing.  That's the attraction to the imap-ssl option.  I
> assume, however, that I could probably keep a non-ssl IMAP server
> for localhost use and have a public imap-ssl server, correct?  I'm
> just worried that would cause consistency problems.  *sigh*

Controlling who can connect to what port is relatively straightforward
on most Unixes; I imagine that some SSL-enabled IMAP servers allow
listening to specific interfaces rather than INADDR_ANY.

> Has anyone compared IMP to Intrastore's stuff?
> http://intrastore.cdc.com/www/ I played with the demo on their site.
> It's not as pretty, but it does have more features (at least more
> than the 2.2 IMP stuff).  It *appears* to have its own imap-ssl
> server, too.

I'm not sure that I understand what benefits having its own IMAP
server provides.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services