[imp] X-Originating-IP

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:26:28 -0500

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 05:08:32PM +0000, Clive McDowell (c.mcdowell@qub.ac.uk) wrote:

> I realise that the true source IP might not be genuine but not
> everyone is clever enough to hide their tracks that well.

Well, if you *do* decide to do it, keep in mind that it'll be sites
*other* than your own that'll be using that to figure out the origin
of a message; you'll want to make it very clear in whatever X-header
you choose that the information is not to be trusted.

Having said that, it appears that there's no *standard* header from
which you can pull that information; it's entirely up to the proxy
which it wants to send along.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services