[imp] Downloading Whole Folders

Nick Silberstein nick@darktwin.net
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:57:11 -0800 (PST)

Quoting Rich Lafferty <rich@horde.org>:
> ask
> before
> > Security, really.
>
> Against what? They can read every mail message by sitting at the
> machine they'd be downloading mail from.

If you step out for a sandwich, and leave your computer unsecured,
someone would normally need to hurriedly scan subject headers, or
look through a random assortment of messages hurriedly.

With a download whole folders option, someone could very quickly
be able to download every mail you've ever received and saved, as
well as sent, to media or a remote location and review it at their
leisure.

That's the only difference; sure, they could read every mail from
the computer they'd be downloading from, but they'd have to wait
until you went on vacation for weeks (during which time you
probably would have logged out of IMP ;).  I just think prompting
for a password has utility in a shared computing environment like
an office or student computer lab. It's pretty useless on someones
home computer, so making it a preference that could be disabled
probably makes sense.

Regards,
Nick

PS - I'd rather not beat this dead horse any longer; it would be easy
enough for me to modify the download code, if the general consensus
among IMP developers is that the feature is not worth adding.

--
Nick Silberstein <nick@darktwin.net>