[imp] WAP ?

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:17:40 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie> wrote:

> > even for those who would trust running sendmail, the real reason would
> > be NOT to FORK a new
> > process everytime you send a mail instead of using a library to do so ...
>
>  So what? Forking is not a big deal on a modern OS. And a modular system
>  like postfix (and possibly qmail) will reuse smtp clients.

There is one other thought to throw into this discussion:  robustness of
delivery.  If you're delivering with SMTP you have to be prepared to
handle the case where you can't get through to the server; this would make
IMP much more complicated, if it were even feasible.  A post I ran across
today:

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>