[imp] simple one for the wishlist

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:26:51 -0500

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:21:44PM -0800, bill parducci (bill@parducci.net) wrote:
> > The size of the INBOX isn't available without accessing a filesystem
> > either. In fact, there's no reason to believe it's a file.
> >
> >    -Rich
>
> it is if you use redhat.

No, it's not. It is if you use that particular mailbox format; that
has absolutely nothing at all to do with the distribution of the
operating system you use, the operating system you use, the mail
transport you use, the mail delivery agent you use, or the format that
the IMAP server reads.

IMP sees *IMAP*. That's all it sees. There's no reason to believe that
mail is stored in any particular form whatsoever, or even if two users
on the same machine store their mail in the same format. All we can do
is ask the IMAP server for what it offers. There's no reason to
believe we're running on the same machine that the mail is stored in,
for that matter, or even under the same family of operating systems.

For what it's worth, even if there *was* a redhat-specific assumption
in which you could always reliably discover the size of a particular
user's mailbox, that's *still* nowhere near portable enough; see
<http://www.horde.org/imp/2.2/supported.php> to get an idea of where
IMP can run.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services