[imp] basic question

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:00:32 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, arijit das <arijitda@netscape.net> wrote:

> I am a little confused about this. If the IMAP server is running on
> the the RH7 system listening on the appropiate port, on recieving the
> username and password does it check the RH7 password files ?

No.  IMP passes the username and password to the IMAP server for
authentication; the IMAP server checks your password files (or however
you've configured it to authenticate, with PAM etc.).  IMP 2.2.x talks
only to the IMAP server.

    username+password ==> IMP ==> IMAP ==> Linux

> or is there any other place to check ?

Your IMAP server logs would be the best starting place.  Also, a good test
is to make sure you can connect to your IMAP server using a different
email client with that user and password; if you can't, then IMP isn't
going to work either.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>