[imp] to the authoritive folks of imp.

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:26:13 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Network <network@network.shacknet.nu> wrote:

> People are being answered that have posted their question after mines.
> There is nothing within the imp archives or the faq addressing my
> imp-version and the newmail_popup. if there was I wouldn't have asked.
>
> What gives?

You seem to be under some misapprehensions here.

(1)  There are no "authoritative folks of IMP".  There is only a Horde
team (people who create PHP GPL'ed software in their spare time because
they enjoy it/it meets their own needs), and a Horde community (people who
use, contribute to, and support Horde applications because they enjoy
it/it suits their needs).

(2)  Answers to your question are gifts, not entitlements.  We're all
volunteers here; we all have many things we're doing besides reading and
answering.  If you look at the archives I think the record clearly shows
that the Horde community is very willing to help, and many people get
their questions answered.  Demanding answers, though, probably lessens
your chance of receiving any.

(3)  We don't know everything.  Often things come up that no one has seen
before.  In those cases, we'd love for the questioner to dig in and see if
he/she can find more information themselves, and often even figure the
problem out.  When that happens and the answer is posted, then when the
next person asks, we have something to say.  That's how the community
works and gets stronger.

I can only say why I didn't respond to this issue, personally:  I couldn't
think of anything helpful to say.  Sorry.  The popup function is, I
believe, a JavaScript thing, and that's far from my strong suit.  Others
probably have different reasons.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>