[imp] Case sensitive user names

Joseph Brennan brennan@columbia.edu
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:34:21 -0500

> We are seeing a problem with IMP, where a user enters their username
> in uppercase, our authentication just ignores the case, but the IMAP
> server is case sensitive.  Is it possible, somewhere in the code, to
> change whatever username the user type in to be changed to lowercase?

The Right Thing would be to hack the imap server, if you want to
accommodate this.  Then users get the same result with imp and with
other imap clients.

If the password is case-sensitive, it seems like better interface
design for the username to be also case-sensitive.

Joseph Brennan                           postmaster@columbia.edu
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)