[imp] mime types - everything application/octet-stream?

bill parducci bill@parducci.net
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:24:40 -0800 (PST)

> Quoting bill parducci <bill@parducci.net>:
>
> > i have noticed that no matter what i attach when composing a note with
> imp it
> > is created as mime type 'application/octet-stream'.

> > is this a configurational issue or does imp only differentiate mime
> types
> > when *reading* mail?
>
> IMP believes the browser; if the browser says "that file I just uploaded
> is
> type text/plain", then IMP sends it as text/plain. So check your browser
>
> configuration.

hmm.. i am using netscape (on linux and windoze). attaching the same files using
the netscape imap client reports the appropriate mime types.

i notice that the dialog box that pops up for netscape's imap client has a field
that allows you to select binary or auto mime types, while the d.box for imp
only selects files.  i wonder if there are alternatives to use something than
the standard file open d.box (which is what imp appears to be using)