[imp] Re: why can't I login?

Yohann Fourteau yohann.fourteau@shom.fr
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:42:33 +0100

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Yohann Fourteau <yohann.fourteau@shom.fr>:
>
> > But If I try to use an other port like 443 or 993 (at the beginning I wanted
> > to test my impad-ssl server)
>
> Just for reference, 443 is https - http over ssl. imap over ssl is always 993;
> trying to connect to 443 with imap will probably always give you weird results,
> though it shouldn't hose the session...

Yep but it's not a raison to have big timeouts !
When you try with a port opened (like https or imaps on my machine) on
the machine which are not IMAP, IMP doesn't answer and locks all new
login. For me it's a bug, now I know that bug and I will use only port
143 :)

When you try with a closed port like a port >1024 there is no timeout
and you can still login after with port 143.

On the other hand, the problem on your demo site is different. On I can
use your demo site only once, I can login once, read my mail, deconnect
and after I can't login any more. But only on your demo site. I have to
shutdown Netscape to try again in order to succeed.

--
Yohann F.