[imp] Performance

David Richards d.richards@qut.edu.au
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:31:36 +1000

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting David Richards <d.richards@qut.edu.au>:
>
> > We are running v2.2.3 for our students.  It is running under apache
> > 1.3.14 on a Compaq Tru64 v5.1 DS20 Alpha system.
> >
> > It is running really, really slowly!  Any suggestions or hints to make
> > it run faster?  Is there anything special I can do with PHP?  Please
> > help...
>
> Well, what are you using for session storage? How much memory does the machine
> have? Is the IMAP server on the same machine? If not, what kind of network link
> is there between the imap server and the imp server? What imapd are you running?

Most connections are made using http only, so session storage is not too
much of an issue.  However, we are using RAM based session caches using
the MM shared memory library.  The machine has 2 Gig of RAM, we are
generally using just over 1 Gig, no swapping is occuring.  The IMAP
server is running on the same machine, looking at it's config though it
seems to be using the network instead of the loopback to connect to it
... might try and fix that.  However, the network is switched 100MB full
duplex.  We are runing Cyrus imap server.

There is some more info in a previous post.

Thanks,

Dave.