[imp] Performance

David Richards d.richards@qut.edu.au
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:35:15 +1000

Jon Parise wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 08:05:43AM +1000, David Richards wrote:
>
> > > It could be a network settings mismatch. Also, if your mail server is
> > > on another machine that is overloaded, that could also be the problem.
> >
> > Nope doesn't seem to be.  The machine is sitting on 100% CPU, which is
> > why it is running really slow.  :-)  obviously.  But, there are no 'run
> > away' processes, the IMAP server is running on the same machine.  The
> > disk subsystem is not being pushed and is well within 'safe operating
> > levels'.  We are not swapping, we are using just over 1 of the 2 gigs of
> > RAM available.
>
> What process(es) are eating up the processor?

Mostly the IMAPd processes take up the top 5 users of processing, which
I am also looking at.  It is the Cyrus imapd server.  However,
significant httpd processes are using the processors heavily also.  Most
of the processes are using in the vicinity of 6-9% each that includes
the imap and httpd processes, so they are generally about equal.

Dave.