ssl prob w/ certain browsers

Mark Nienberg mark@tippingmar.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:39:26 -0800

I have imp installed and running with open_ssl.  I can make secure
connections to the imp server and everything works perfectly from
the following browsers:

Netscape 4.08 on Mac
Netscape 4.75 on Linux
Netscape 4.7 on Win95
IE 5.1 on Win98
IE 5.5 on Win98

I cannot get through the ssl connection using the following browsers:

IE 5.0 on Win98
IE 5.0 on Mac

As I test, I replaced the "/horde/imp/index.php3" file with a plain text
file named "index.html".  After this, the "bad browsers" can make
secure (though useless) connections, so it doesn't seem like a
problem in the ssl setup.

Unfortuantely, the "bad browsers" are the default browsers on a
typical install of Win98 and MacOS, so my users are very likely to
have one of them and you are very likely to run into one of them in
an internet cafe in Florence or wherever.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

apache 1.3.14 on RedHat Linux 7.0
mod_ssl 2.7.1
mod_php 4.0.3pl1-1
mysql 3.23.32
php 4.0.3pl1-1
All installed from rpms (mostly from the imp ftpsite).

Mark W. Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates
Berkeley, CA