shared memory error

Michael Redinger Michael.Redinger@uibk.ac.at
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:04:17 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I just tried to "go public" with imp-2.2.5. On the testserver everything
went fine. I made an image and put it on one of the production servers.
This definitely doesn't work fine ...
(Note: this machine is definitely the same as the test server - I made
the image, put it on the production server, changed the IP and
hostname configurations - that's it ...).

When trying to access IMP I do get the following error message:
Warning: not enough shared memory left in ct_shm.inc on line 5

Sometimes I do also get other messages:
Warning: variable key 212 doesn't exist in ct_shm.inc on line 80
(or any other line, eg. line 55)

I noted that everything is terribly slow - on the test server
IMP was 10 times faster (suppose this is related to that problem).

I also noted that when configuring phplib for mysql it was much faster -
however, probably misconfigured it as I couldn't successfully login
(only had a few minutes, it's a production machine ...)

The machine's ok - PII 450 with 350MB+ MB RAM; there aren't too many
connections either - about 30.

(I do use the Zend Optimizer, but that shouldn't do any harm ... it worked
fine on the testserver ...).

I know:
There where some postings about this on this and other mailing lists.
None of them seemed to give a solution. Chuck (if I remember correctly)
proposed to increased shm_size in ct_shm.inc. I tried this (now
4096000 instead of 64000 ...). This does not work.

It was also proposed to have a look at the phplib documentation. Well,
I didn't find anything suiteable there.
When searching with Google the only similar problems I found where those
of IMP. This might even be reasonable as, according to the docs, horde
ships a modified version of phplib.

Any clues?
Maybe at least someone who got IMP working with shm on a real production
system (with more than just 1 or 2 concurrent users ...)?

Michael