Anyone out there using SSL tunnelling?

Oscar Renalias oscare@fib.upc.es
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:42:47 +0200

Hi!

As IMP does not support SSL natively yet, we are using openssl c_client
to tunnel and encrypt the imp-imap connections through a false local
port that in fact is encrypting and forwarding all the packets to the
ssl-imap-2000 server. IMP connects to the local port 150, where openssl
is listening. Openssl then receives all the data and encrypts and
forwards it to the port 993 of our imap server.
Everything works fine except for one thing. We don't know if it's a
php/imp issue, an imap issue or an openssl issue (messages have been
sent to the corresponding lists), but maybe somebody here is in the same
situation as us.
The problem is with some passwords. If the password begins with A, B or
C (this only happens in upper case), the server refuses login, and if it
begins with D, E, F or G, the imap server seems to hang indefinitely.
However, it works perfectly with the rest of the letters (from H to Z)
As I said before, I'm not sure this is a php/imp problem, because if the
connection is made directly (no tunnelling), things work perfect.
Anyway, any kind of help would be appreciated ;)
We are using imp 2.2.0, imap-2000c and openssl 0.9.6.

Many thanks!
--
Oscar Renalias / oscare@fib.upc.es / FIB / UPC
House music is a state of mind