[imp] How Ready is 2.3.7?

Rick Stevens rstevens@publichost.com
Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:52:45 -0700

Nick Ustinov wrote:

> I am using 2.3.7 with some own modifications on a production server with
> about 70000 users

We're using 2.2.4 with about 8,000 virtual domains and 1.4M users
on a load-balanced Linux cluster.  It works quite well.  I've done a
lot of local changes that dynamically change the look (colors, fonts,
layout appearance, etc.) based on the virtual domain the user is
connecting to.  I've also installed session timeout code, so if a
user doesn't do anything for some specified period, it logs them out.

I've ported these changes to the 2.3.7 release, and I'm in the final
stages of testing that.  I can give you some info now, however:

	Session tracking:	PostgreSQL
	Preferences storage:	PostgreSQL
	Turba storage:		PostgreSQL
	IMAP server:		Heavily modified Crispin
	POP server:		Heavily modified QPopper
	SMTP server:		sendmail with lotsa mods

I'm also in the process of creating a virtual-domained version of
Kronolith (MCAL) that doesn't rely on a flat file (with this many
users and domains, it's suicide to do that).  I'll try to keep you
all informed as to how it's going.

- Rick Stevens, SSE, PublicHost, Inc.        rstevens@publichost.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                     http://www.publichost.com -
-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction.   -