[imp] new webmail user account

Rick Stevens rstevens@vitalstream.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:20:26 -0700

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Tamer Uz <tammat2@yahoo.com>:
>

>> I need my users to create their own web-mail account
>> by themselves,
>> instead of my creating unix users for them. Is it
>> possible?
>

> Yes, but it's outside the scope of IMP. You'll have to write your own tool or
> find an existing one that does what you want.
>
> -chuck

Actually, it depends on how your mail is set up.  In our case, NONE
of our Webmail clients are UNIX users, as we authenticate IMAP and
POP users off LDAP and use modified POP and IMAP servers to handle
these "phantom" users.

As to how WE add users, that's off our web pages.  A special "admin"
user brings up the page to add a user.  The page then calls CGI
scripts to create the user entry in LDAP and create the directory
structure to hold the mail.

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens@vitalstream.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-         "If you can't fix it...duct tape it!"  - Tim Allen         -