[imp] high load average with postgresql

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:11:38 -0400

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:07:41AM -0500, Matthew M Carroll (mmc2@csd.uwm.edu) wrote:
> I recently changed my horde/imp installation over to postgresql, and now
> under the same conditions I have a load average of 10+ where as before I
> would have a load average of 2 and under. this is a smp machine. If anyone
> has any ideas on how to tune this better I would appreciate it.

Well, I don't know what "before" was. What have you tried that hasn't
worked? What's the machine? What else is on the machine? What version
of Postgres? What version of Horde and IMP? What operating system?
What processes are actually taking up the load? How many postgres
processes are running? What parameters are you starting Postgres with?
How are you connecting to Postgres? What sort of user load is on the
machine? How often do you VACUUM and VACUUM ANALYZE?

It's impossible to know what the problem is without any information at
all.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services