[imp] Turba tie-in with IMP

Rick Stevens rstevens@vitalstream.com
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:05:04 -0700

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Rick Stevens <rstevens@vitalstream.com>:

>> Actually, I am.  Well, "$driver->addObject($entry)"-type calls.
>> I hope that's the correct usage.  It's not been tested yet as other
>> work-type things have taken priority.
>

> Sounds right - where $driver is a Turba_Source defined in config/sources.php,
> right?

Yessir!  That's it.  Essentially the same stuff Turba currently uses,
just expanded out the wazoo.

>> As far as LDAP is concerned, I just don't want to violate some OID
>> somewhere.  Lots of people run their LDAP servers with full schema
>> checks and I don't want to break them.
>

> Just map stuff to Turba's global keys, and only add keys that are defined in
> the Source. Let the people using LDAP map the global keys to the right part of
> their schemas, and worry about whst needs to be there.

Well, I'm adding a gob of additional fields.  Essentially, Outlook
spews out about 87 different fields.  I'm accepting a lot of them
(well, actually most of them), but only the most useful ones will
appear on the main Turba screen (full name, email address, possibly
the primary phone number).  If you want the rest, you'll have to
click on the name, as usual.  The reason is a number of our clients
(and we have over 1.3M of them) want their ENTIRE address book
available over IMP.  Of course, this stuff can be pared down as the
individual sites implement it.

I'm also looking at a "Turba Lite" that will show (on one side of the
screen) which fields Turba will maintain in its database and on the
other side, those that can be imported from the external source, and
let the user "cross connect" the two ("Hmmm, I want the business city
saved as the home phone number, just because I want to!")

>> Additional info, I'm adding vCard 2.1, PalmPilot and Eudora uploads
>> too boot.  They will be later than the Outlook stuff...my workload
>> runneth over.
>

> Feel free to share the work on these - I've looked at some of the vCard and
> Palm stuff, and would love to have it all working. We can set you up with cvs
> access if you're going to be doing a lot of stuff like this, or make other
> arrangements to share work/code...

Sure.  Let me get the sucker running first, then I'll let you know.
Once it's functional, I'd welcome true PHP/HTML people to clean it up.
It'll be brual and ugly initially, since I've not got the PHP chops
to make it elegant and wonderful, like the rest of Horde/IMP/etc.

"If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!"
			-- Regimental Sgt. Maj. Henry G. Kester
			   "Warbots"

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens@vitalstream.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -