[imp]Can I send mail via SMTP

Raoul Emin raoul.emin@bigfoot.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:54:05 +0200

En réponse à Patrick SILVA <domain@cyse.net>:

> Hello
>
> Imp works fine with Imap and Pop3
> I use 2 servers one is the imp system and I have a distant pop3 system
> I can read the mails on the pop3 server but I can't send mail with =
this
> system, cause IMP use the local system and the Pop3 user is not on =
this
> system
> Can I use a SMTP send with the php function mail() to send mail thru =
the
> distant server
>
> thanks to all

I had similar problems on my win32 platform...

In horde.lib you can find all the functions that take care of sending mails (line 1134), I have changed a few lines of codes so has to use a commandline sendmail clone that sends the mail using my smt.server of choice.

I am also exploring an alternative solution, in the php_4_0_4pl1 package there is a pear directory with a a nice library (written by chuck?) that takes care of sending mail via smtp, what I did was including this smtp library into the hodelib and call the this function instead of the standard mail() one.

Their is also a parameter in php.ini which I hope someone from the mailing list may clarify:

[mail function]
SMTP  = localhost  ;for win32 only
sendmail_from = postmaster@localhost.com;for win32 only
;sendmail_path =    ;for unix only, may supply arguments as well (default is 'sendmail -t -i')

Is this a parmeter used by the mail() function under win32 platform ?

Raoul Emin
   raoul.emin@bigfoot.com