[imp] IMP performance under load

Stephen Fischer sfi@unsw.edu.au
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:57:36 +1000

quoth Rich Lafferty:
| On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 03:51:04PM +1000, Stephen Fischer (sfi@unsw.edu.au) wrote:
| > I'm evaluating IMP, along with a couple other IMAP web mail clients, and have
| > just talked to someone who was experiencing a very high load on the machine
| > running the web server.  He said that they were seeing a sustained load of
| > about 100 running IMP 2.2.4 on a dual-processor SGI 3200.
|
| Something is seriously wrong with their system. Our 17000 users on a
| two-proc DS10 (a roughly equivalent machine) can hardly be felt; the
| person you were talking to really needs to sit down and figure out
| what's wrong with that machine. (Of course, I scratch my head over the
| idea of a sysadmin not realizing that a sustained load over, say, 4 on
| a dual-proc box is a sign of a problem.)

He definitely realises there's a problem.  He just hasn't solved it yet.
There is a possibility of it being hardware, php version, C compiler, or the
network in addition to IMP, from what I understand.

| What were you thinking of picking up, out of curiosity?

Not sure I understand the question.  We're probably going to have some sort of
dual processor solaris 8 machine or a 220 running the software.  We have a
cyrus IMAP server backend.  Our other main test webmail software is
Squirrelmail.  If this doesn't answer you, let me know.

Thanks for everyone who responded.  You've made us all happier about
proceeding with trials for IMP.

Stephen