[imp] prefs

Jon Parise jon@csh.rit.edu
Tue, 1 May 2001 13:37:39 -0400

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 01:25:37PM -0400, Lee Nash wrote:

> Is it valid to assign a scope of horde to all prefs?

Yes, that is valid, but it will have the effect of making all of
those preferences global to all applications.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology

Date: Tue,  1 May 2001 13:51:55 -0400
From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [horde] Horde running on Windows?

[putting this back on the list for the benefit of anyone else interested, and
so that it ends up in the archives]

Quoting Todd Aiken <taiken@ubishops.ca>:

> I am going to try to install Horde and IMP on a Win2k box which willinterface
> with the Mercury/32 mail transport system which we use with our Novell
> Netware environment.

You are aware that IMP doesn't have to be running on the same box as the IMAP
server, right?

> - I am trying to use a couple of extensions of the latest Apache web server
> for Win32, but everytime I uncomment any one of them, Apache reports that
> it can't find it.  I have tried playing around with the "extension_dir"
> parameter in httpd.conf to try to tell it where the extensions can be found,
> but have yet to get everything loaded without an error message.

I know Apache can be finicky about quotes and paths (c:\ prefixing things,
etc.), but other than those general hints, you should be looking for help from
an Apache resource here...

> - How is composed mail sent via IMP on a Windows machine, since there is
> no Sendmail?  Or does Sendmail exist for Windows as well?  If not, what
> can be used in its place, or is it even used at all (ie: does it matter what
> is in the "path to sendmail" parameter in I believe prepende.php3)?

The path_to_sendmail parameter is in imp/config/defaults.php3. I take it from
that that you're planning on using IMP 2.2/Horde 1.2. In that case you can set
the path_to_sendmail to false, in which case IMP will fall back on php's mail()
function. This has a few drawbacks (not setting the envelope from address
correctly, which can cause problems with mailing lists), but works. Or, you can
hack mailfrom() (in horde/lib/horde.lib) to do something different, or you can
find a command-line utility that acts like sendmail and accepts the right
arguments (there _is_ sendmail for win32, but I'm not familiar with it).

If you decide to go with Horde 1.3/IMP 2.3 (which, although it is still a bit
of a moving target and in development, it has had a bit more use by developers
on win32), there is an option to use SMTP to send mail, which should make
things easy.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
You will receive an urgent transmission from the Martian government informing